The Black Company Forum Index The Black Company

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need opinions: displaying roll numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Black Company Forum Index -> Suicide Kings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joehunk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Need opinions: displaying roll numbers Reply with quote

A frequent source of confusion among new SK users is how rolls are displayed for people inserted at the bottom. If you insert someone at the bottom of the list with "/sk insert <player>" or the Insert button, that person gets a "place holder" roll of 1. That means a bunch of people end up with rolls of 1 over time.

The confuising thing is that when someone is inserted at the bottom, they DO NOT roll tie breakers against everyone with a roll of 1. The mod keeps track of people inserted at the bottom since the last suicide and only rolls tie breakers with them.

There is already an open feature request to allow turning tie breakers off. What I want opinions on is how best to:
  • Display the roll of a player that was inserted at the bottom manually. Just don't show a roll at all? Show some text like "new" or something? A zero?
  • Display which players have been inserted at the bottom since the last suicide, so people will know who the tie breaker will be rolled against. Maybe THAT is where I should put the "new" tag.

My gut tells me to display no roll at all for people inserted at the bottom manually, and to display the text "new" by people that have been inserted at the bottom since the last suicide, and will therefore be involved in tie breakers.
Trurl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your gut is right. Don't display roll numbers for people manually inserted without rolling. Making up a 1 roll for them is just confusing.

For players that are up for auto tie breaking, putting a New tag on them where the roll would normally be sounds good.
Trillium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds less confusing that what happens now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Black Company Forum Index -> Suicide Kings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: